Thu, 09/07/2023 – 10:08am
The Outer Banks , North Carolina, a picturesque coastal gem, is renowned for its stunning landscapes, pristine beaches, and a warm, inviting atmosphere that welcomes visitors with open arms. But what if your family includes a four-legged member? Fret not! The Outer Banks is just as inviting for your canine companion. In this guide, we’ll delve into the world of pet-friendly homes with Village Realty, discover restaurants where your pup is as cherished as you are, offer helpful tips for beach days with your furry friend, and ensure you’re prepared with vet information, just in case.
Restaurants That Welcome Your Dog
Exploring the Outer Banks’ culinary scene is a delight for both you and your pet. Many local restaurants understand that dogs are part of the family and offer pet-friendly dining options. When dining out with your furry friend on the Outer Banks, you’ll discover a variety of pet-friendly restaurants that offer both delicious cuisine and a welcoming atmosphere. Here are seven establishments where you and your pet can enjoy a great meal together:
1. Fish Heads Bar & Grill (Nags Head): We highly recommend Fish Head’s Bar & Grill in Nags Head, not only for its delectable seafood offerings but also for its pet-friendly atmosphere. This welcoming establishment is the perfect blend of delicious cuisine and inclusivity for all family members, including your four-legged companions. While you savor their mouthwatering seafood dishes and take in the mesmerizing waterfront views, your pet can bask in the outdoor deck’s cozy ambiance. It’s a place where you can enjoy a memorable meal with your loved ones, furry friends included, making it a must-visit destination for any pet-loving traveler on the Outer Banks.
2. Sooey’s BBQ & Rib Shack (Corolla & Nags Head): It’s our 10/10 for the best BBQ sandwich on the beach where pups are welcome. Sooey’s BBQ & Rib Shack in Duck is your place to go if you want a mouthwatering barbecue experience that’s also pet-friendly. This eatery not only serves up Southern-style barbecue that’ll tantalize your taste buds but also extends a warm welcome to your furry companions. As you savor the smoky flavors of their barbecue delights, your pet can enjoy the relaxed outdoor seating area. It’s the perfect spot for a family meal where everyone, including your beloved pets, can join in the fun. Sooey’s BBQ & Rib Shack’s commitment to a friendly and inclusive atmosphere makes it a top choice for pet-loving travelers exploring the Outer Banks.
3. Beachcombers Tiki Hut (Kill Devil Hills): Inhale the invigorating sea breeze as you relax at the open-air Tiki Hut, a complete beachside bar that offers mesmerizing ocean vistas. Delight in delectable cuisine, tropical beverages, breathtaking ocean panoramas, and a laid-back ambiance. Savor a family-friendly lunch or dinner with a menu featuring Fresh Fish Tacos, Ahi Poke Bowl, Wagyu Burger, and other delectable choices while you immerse yourself in the rhythmic ebb and flow of the Outer Banks’ tides.
4. Mulligan’s Raw Bar & Grille (Nags Head): Mulligan’s Raw Bar & Grille in Nags Head is highly recommended by us for its delectable seafood offerings and its pet-friendly ambiance. This coastal gem not only serves up fresh seafood and scrumptious sandwiches but also extends a warm welcome to your furry companions. As you enjoy your meal with a view of the Roanoke Sound, your pet can join you on the outdoor deck, enhancing your dining experience. It’s a fantastic spot for a memorable family meal where everyone, including your cherished pets, can soak in the coastal charm of the Outer Banks. Mulligan’s Raw Bar & Grille’s commitment to being pet-friendly makes it a must-visit destination for travelers with four-legged friends in tow.
5. Steamers (Southern Shores): This charming restaurant is renowned for its seafood delights and steamed dishes, and it warmly welcomes your furry companions to its outdoor patio. As you savor your meal while overlooking the picturesque Roanoke Sound, your pet can relax by your side, making for an unforgettable family dining experience. It’s the perfect place to indulge in fresh seafood and create lasting memories with loved ones, pets included, all while enjoying the coastal ambiance of the Outer Banks. Steamers Restaurant & Catering’s pet-friendly approach adds an extra layer of charm to your dining adventure.
6. Outer Banks Brewing Station (Kill Devil Hills): Want the best craft beer on the island?? How about genuine farm-to-table dining? Well, we highly recommend OBBS as it’s both amazing AND dog friendly. It’s a place where you can enjoy your favorite brews and delicious dishes while your furry companion relaxes with you on the outdoor patio. This welcoming atmosphere makes it a top choice for pet-loving travelers exploring the Outer Banks. The Outer Banks Brewing Station’s commitment to both quality dining and inclusivity for pets ensures that everyone has a fantastic time while enjoying the coastal vibes of this beloved destination.
7. Eventide: With a focus on farm-to-table freshness and a commitment to celebrating the region’s flavors, Eventide offers a dining experience that’s both exquisite and authentic. The restaurant’s warm and welcoming atmosphere is enhanced by its coastal-inspired decor, creating the perfect setting for a memorable meal. Whether you’re indulging in their renowned seafood dishes, savoring seasonal delights, or exploring their carefully curated wine list, Eventide promises a feast for the senses. As the sun sets over the sound, the restaurant’s waterfront location provides a picturesque backdrop, making every visit to Eventide a culinary journey by the sea—an experience that lingers in your memory long after the
Remember to check with each restaurant for their specific pet policies, as some may have restrictions or guidelines. Additionally, it’s courteous to bring a leash and ensure your dog is well-behaved during your dining experience. With these pet-friendly dining options on the Outer Banks, you and your pup can enjoy a memorable meal together while savoring the coastal charm of the region.
Helpful Tips for Beach Days with Your Pup:
The Outer Banks is renowned for its pristine beaches, and the good news is that your dog can enjoy them too! Here are some tips for a safe and enjoyable beach day with your furry friend:
- Leash Laws: Familiarize yourself with local leash laws. Some beaches may require dogs to be on a leash, while others have designated leash-free areas.
- Duck: Dogs are allowed on the beach unleashed, but as a matter of public safety and courtesy, they should be under the watchful eye and contact of their owner. Duck beach accesses are privately owned by individual Home Owners Associations, and access is limited to Homeowner group residents and guests.
- Southern Shores: Dogs are allowed on the beach before 9 a.m. and after 6 p.m. from May 15 – September 15. Year-round leash law. Dogs must be on leashes no longer than 10 feet. All pet waste must be collected immediately and deposited in appropriate containers. The same rules apply during all hours in the off-season.
- Kitty Hawk: Dogs are allowed on the beach and must display a current rabies tag. The owner/handler must remove feces and possess a bag/container for waste removal at all times. From the Friday before Memorial Day until the day after Labor Day between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., dogs must be on a leash not exceeding 12 feet. Dogs may be taken off the leash only if they will not disturb other people on the beach and must be controlled by the handler, who must remain within 30 feet of the dog at all times. Leash must be with the owner/handler at all times.
- Kill Devil Hills: Between Memorial Day and Labor Day of each year, no dogs shall be permitted on the public beach between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. unless being used to aid a handicapped person. At all other times, no dogs shall be permitted on the public beaches except upon a leash and under the control of the owner or handler.
- Nags Head: Dogs are allowed on the beach year-round as long as they are restrained by a leash not exceeding 10 feet.
- Manteo: Any animal off the premises of the custodian shall be restrained by a leash, cord, or chain not exceeding six feet in length, held by a person who is physically able to control the animal unless such animal is restrained by voice control. For specific business dog code inquiries, check their listing on our website.
- Cape Hatteras National Seashore: Dogs are allowed on the beach year-round if they are restrained with a leash 6 feet or less at all times.
- Clean Up: Always carry waste bags and clean up after your dog. Many beach access points provide waste stations for your convenience.
- Hydration: Be sure to bring plenty of fresh water for your pets. Dogs can easily become dehydrated on the beach and will need plenty of water. Do not allow your pet to drink salt water. When a dog ingests too much salt water it can lead to an upset GI tract and result in diarrhea and vomiting.
- Sun Protection: Just like you, your dog can get sunburned. Consider dog-friendly sunblock for sensitive areas like noses and ears. Provide shade for your pet if you plan to stay on the beach for a long period of time.
- Protect Your Dogs Feet: Hot sand and pavement can burn the pads on your dog’s feet. Plan walks for the cooler times of day.
- Fish Hooks: Beware of allowing your pet near fish hooks. The need for a vet visit for removal of fish hooks is a common occurrence at beach locations.
- Respect Wildlife: Keep a safe distance from wildlife, including nesting birds and sea turtles.
Your furry friend deserves the best during your Outer Banks getaway, and that means knowing where to find pet-friendly services to keep them happy and healthy. Whether you need a trustworthy dog walker, information on local vets, or recommendations for pet-friendly stores, we’ve got you covered. Here’s your guide to navigating the Outer Banks with your beloved pet:
- OBX Dog Walker: Need a helping hand to keep your dog active and happy while you explore the Outer Banks? OBX Dog Walker has you covered with reliable and professional pet care services.
Vets in the Area:
- Outer Banks Veterinary Hospital, Kitty Hawk
- Coastal Animal Hospital, Kitty Hawk
- Sound Veterinary Hospital, Nags Head
- First Flight Veterinary Hospital, Point Harbor
- Martin’s Point Veterinary Hospital, Kitty Hawk
Pet Financial Assistance and Low-cost Vaccinations:
- Coastal Humane Society: If you’re in need of financial assistance for your pet or affordable vaccinations, the Coastal Humane Society can provide valuable support.
Lost/Missing Pet Assistance:
- Outer Banks SPCA, Manteo
- Currituck Animal Services, Barco
- Kill Devil Hills Animal Control
- Nags Head Animal Control
Dog Parks (may require a dog license from the village):
- Mary’s Dog Park, Kill Devil Hills
- Nags Head Dog Park, Nags Head
- Roanoke Island Dog Park, Manteo
- Kitty Hawk Dog Park, Kitty Hawk
Best Places to Go for a Walk with Your Dog:
Best Dog or Pet Stores:
Pet-sitting in OBX:
- Ocean Sands K9 Resort, Kill Devil Hills
Pet-Friendly Homes with Village Realty:
When you plan your Outer Banks getaway, you don’t have to leave your beloved pet behind. Village Realty offers a range of pet-friendly vacation homes [JA4] that cater to the needs of your furry friend. These homes ensure that everyone in the family, including your dog, enjoys a comfortable and memorable stay. From cozy beachfront cottages to spacious family-friendly homes, you’ll find the perfect place to call home during your visit.
1. M864: “Harvest Moon” in Corolla:
Nestled along the serene shores of Monteray Shores, Harvest Moon beckons with its breathtaking five-bedroom waterfront charm. This pet-friendly retreat not only offers a private saltwater pool, hot tub, and all the amenities for an exceptional beach vacation but also boasts a private pier, shrouded in the tranquility of mature vegetation. Here, water enthusiasts can easily access the Currituck Sound for kayaking and paddleboarding adventures. As the day draws to a close, the pier becomes an idyllic spot to unwind with a drink, savoring the mesmerizing sunset and the profound peace that envelops this coastal haven. And for those seeking aquatic excitement, the floating dock accommodates jet skis and boats up to 19 feet in length, promising endless adventures in this waterfront paradise.
2. SH296: “Remember Bark When” in Southern Shores:
Retreat to Remember Bark When, an inviting dog-friendly beach house in Southern Shores, nestled amidst the tranquil embrace of mature oak trees. After sun-soaked beach adventures, find solace in the welcoming great room, where an electric fireplace, vaulted ceilings, and an open-concept layout create a bright and cozy atmosphere. LVP flooring ensures that sandy feet and paws are no issue in this coastal haven. Step onto the expansive sun deck, overlooking the fenced-in backyard, a perfect play area for dogs and kids alike. The top floor is dedicated to the primary suite, featuring a private bath and balcony. Smart TVs with Roku in every room make streaming a breeze. Downstairs, a recreation room offers hours of indoor entertainment with a pool table, foosball table, and arcade games. As the day winds down, unwind in the hot tub or gather around the backyard fire pit while planning the adventures of tomorrow. With exclusive beach access, a vibrant soundside park, and access to the Outer Banks YMCA, this is more than a vacation; it’s a cherished escape.
3. CC009: “All About the View” in Corolla:
“Discover ‘It’s All About The View’ and so much more! Nestled within the exclusive Currituck Club, this magnificent soundfront home is a feast for the senses, offering breathtaking sound vistas, unforgettable sunsets, and tasteful decor. Your OBX vacation here promises a treasure trove of fond memories to share with loved ones. Outdoors, relaxation awaits in your private pool area, complete with a hot tub, a spacious cabana with seating, and a charming tiki bar. Indoors, you’ll be enchanted by the great room’s expansive windows, framing a panoramic sound view. Whip up culinary delights in the upscale kitchen with granite countertops and two dishwashers. Family fun is a must in the rec room, where a pool table and kitchenette await. Music fills the house via SONOS speakers in the living room, rec room, and by the pool. With versatile TV options including cable and streaming, there’s entertainment for all. Four king master bedrooms and two pyramid bunk bedrooms ensure everyone’s comfort. An elevator offers convenience, and the best part is, your furry pals are welcome too!
4. POND5: “A Speckled Trout” in Nags Head:
Located on a serene peninsula within the peaceful Pond Island neighborhood, “A Speckled Trout” is a haven for boaters, water enthusiasts, fishermen, dog lovers, and those seeking ultimate relaxation. Surrounded by water on three sides, this retreat offers the perfect setting to bring your boat and moor it at the dock, with ample space for kayaking, paddleboarding, jet skiing, or leisurely fishing from the back dock, which also features comfortable seating, a fish cleaning station, and a convenient ladder. Prepare your cameras to capture the breathtaking sunsets that grace the back dock and deck. End your day with a soothing soak in your private hot tub. Inside, a recreation room awaits with a pool table, foosball table, arcade games, a wet bar, and a convenient half bath. While the ocean and beach are just a short drive away, this locale also provides easy access to family-friendly activities, shopping, and a wealth of excellent restaurants.
5. NHCA92: “Sound Living” in Nags Head:
Step into the warm embrace of Sound Living at its coziest with this charming custom-designed canalfront home, nestled in the welcoming neighborhood of Old Nags Head Cove. Here, you can truly relax and find solace in a backyard haven that’s been lovingly landscaped, complete with a heated saltwater infinity pool and a bubbling hot tub. If there’s a chef in your family, they’re bound to fall in love with the well-appointed kitchen, which boasts a 6-burner gas range and a fridge that even comes with a built-in K cup coffee maker. The spacious great room is the perfect spot for family time, whether you’re sharing meals, enjoying movie nights, or simply soaking up each other’s company. And when you step out onto the deck, you’ll be treated to some of the most picturesque water views and awe-inspiring sunsets. Plus, you don’t have to worry about lugging groceries or suitcases up flights of stairs, thanks to the elevator that provides easy access to all levels. Feel free to spend some quality time fishing off the dock, or take a short drive to the pristine Nags Head beaches. And if you happen to have a paddleboard or kayak, you’ll love the immediate access to the canal and sound. No matter how you choose to spend your vacation, this home is bound to create unforgettable memories for you, your family, and even your beloved pets.
Book Your Pup A Vacation Today!
The Outer Banks is more than a destination; it’s a pet-friendly paradise where your furry family member can enjoy the beauty and hospitality of this coastal gem right alongside you. With pet-friendly homes, welcoming restaurants, helpful tips for beach days, and vet information at your fingertips, you’re ready to embark on an unforgettable adventure with your faithful companion by your side. So pack those doggy treats, grab the leash, and get ready to create cherished memories together in the Outer Banks.