All About Outer Banks Oyster Season
One of the best things about colder weather on the coast is the availability of fresh, yummy oysters. The Outer Banks oyster season lasts from mid-October through early April. For generations, oysters have been harvested, farmed and enjoyed on the Outer Banks. These special local delicacies are succulent, briny, and scrumptious. If slurping them down raw is not for you, although we recommend giving it a go, there are many ways to enjoy Outer Banks oysters. One of the favorite local preparations is barrel-roasted preferably on a crisp, cold night. When roasting oysters, you want to cook them only until they just open up enough to get a knife in. This way they are not raw, but they retain the juice that makes them so appetizing.
Outer Banks Oyster List
If you're looking to have an oyster roastin party, there are a few key items you want to make sure you have ahead of time to maximize your experience:
- Protective gloves
- Oyster knives
- Hand towels
- Hot vinegar or vinegar + hot sauce
And remember to recycle your oyster shells. Eastern oysters are on the rise again, due in part to oyster-shell recycling and reef-building programs.
Best Outer Banks Restaurants for Oysters
- - Awful Arthur's
- - I Got Your Crabs
- - The Village Table & Tavern
Facts about Oysters
- - Oysters can live up to 20 years.
- - They may change gender several times throughout their lifetime.
- - A single oyster filters about 50 gallons of water each day, helping to improve the quality and clarity of the ocean
- - Oysters contain more zinc per serving than any other food. Four or five medium-sized oysters supply the recommended daily allowance of iron, copper, iodine, magnesium, calcium, zinc, manganese, and phosphorus.
- - Oysters close their shells to rest and follow a very strict circadian rhythm according to sun and moon positions.
- - The best time to eat wild Outer Banks oysters are during months with "r" in them. This is because they taste the best this time of year.
- - Farmed oysters are good all year round.
Looking for Oysters During your Outer Banks Vacation?
Let the local experts help you find the perfect rental during your oyster season trip to our area. Village Realty offers many properties with ample covered porches, perfect for your outdoor oyster opening session!